Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sunday & Labor

NOT INTENDED FOR THE WEAK STOMACHED OR PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE DETAILS........



If you read the Contractions post you know how the weekend was going. Sunday around 12 Jacob, Kona and I went for a walk at Beatty. It certainly was a slow walk but contractions during that time were very minimal. They were something I was aware of but nothing that stopped me in my tracks or caused me to have to breathe through them. When we got back home Jacob then went out to ride his bike since I really was still very comfortable, plus my mom was here in case anything did happen. We hung out and then around 3:00 I decided that I was going to take a nap since I knew we had to be to the hospital at 5:00 for the induction. When I went to lie down things started to pick up. I couldn't lay in bed and needed to stand up to sway during contractions. I then decided to take a shower since that has always been something that relaxes me. After 45 minutes in the shower it was time to get ready to leave. We still didn't really know how close my contractions were. We guessed about 4-5 minutes apart but still manageable.

When we got to the hospital they took me to my room. I told the nurse that I thought I was in labor but wasn't completely sure. She proceeded with checking me in by asking me a thousand questions and waited for the doctor to come in to check me to see if we still needed to be induced. They hooked me up to the monitor and my contractions were measuring at 2-3 minutes apart. The doc came and said I definitely didn't need Cervidal since I was 5 1/2 centimeters dilated. Everyone was surprised that I was that far along. The doc at that point gave me the option of getting my water broke but I didn't want to at that point. They had trouble finding a good vein so they stuck me 3 different times by 3 different nurses.

Jacob and I did a couple laps around the floor. The contractions were really pretty good where I would have to stop and hold on to the railing or Jacob to breathe through them. Then around 7-7:30ish I needed to do something more to get through the contractions so I got in the shower again and would sway through them. Then the nurse came in around 8:oo-8:30ish to check me. The doc came in around then too so he checked me. At that point I was 7 cms and again was given the option to have my water broken. I passed on it. Then during one of my contractions I felt that I needed to push which caused my water to brake. Jacob rang the bell to get the nurse in. When she got there I was 8cms. At that point the nurse stayed in the room with us. Around that time is when I really don't remember the details well and the crazy person came out of me. :^)

I do know that Jacob was a great support by squeezing my hand and keeping me hydrated. The nurse would rub my lower back for me. The nurse checked me again and I was 9cms. I kept getting the urge to push but had to breathe through it. That was probably the hardest part of labor when my body wanted to do one thing but I was trying to do something else. After a few contractions like that the nurse decided to see if she could help me along. Sure enough she was able to help me get to 10 cms. The doc wasn't in the room yet so I had to try to breathe through the urges to push since we obviously needed him to deliver. Then in roughly 6-7 pushes Emmi was born.


Right after she was born they placed her on my belly for what felt like 2 secs. Then they whisked her to the heating bed since she was blue, which is right in the same room. They gave her oxygen and she was just fine. Her Apgar scores were 9 and 9. I was losing some extra blood so they jabbed me in the leg with some blood clotting shot. I also immediately started shaking uncontrollably and was freezing. They put warm blankets on me while the doc did what he needed to do to repair the 2nd degree tears that I had.

The next day I was quite tired but really felt good. When we got up we proceeded to walk around the floor with her.

I would definitely go natural again. Despite the few stitches and hemorrhoids I have really felt great. We have gone out on a few walks already with Emmi in the Snugli. The thing I wasnt ready for was that my hips have expanded. I have a handful of pants that fit me but due to my hips expanding some that I thought would fit just dont quite yet. I have been wearing comfy clothes so we will see if they have started to go back in the next few days.

Thanks to Jacob we were able to achieve our goal of having a natural childbirth. Emmi has also done great nursing and latching on.

No comments: