Starting on Wednesday night my body was starting to give signs that things were happening. So Thursday I had a few random contractions but nothing consistent or painful. Friday started more of a regular pattern. Mid day I knew that it was going to definitely be over the weekend. Around 5ish I said to Jacob that I think we should go to the hospital that night after we put Emmi to bed. So we did Emmi's normal bedtime routine which included me showering with her. Bonus for me since a shower is a relaxation thing and I got to spent time with Emmi. Jacob took a rough time line as to how often they were happening which was 3-4 minutes apart but I could totally talk through them and as long as I was standing they were no big deal. After Emmi was down, we called the on-call service and after a dozen questions we were told to head on in.
We got here just after 8pm. They hooked me up to the monitor and asked a thousand questions. The nurses were awesome and let me stand while on the monitor. After about an hour and 30 minutes the doc showed up. They wanted to see if my water had broke and sure enough they confirmed it was leaking. This is also when they finally checked me being 5 cms. So at 10ish after it taking the anesthesiologist to get a vein, I started my first dose of antibiotics. The contractions were getting harder but nothing I couldn't breathe through. As soon as I was done the IV I got in the shower again which was around 11ish. That is when the pattern definitely changed. I think they went to every 2 minutes at that point. I was only in the shower for 15-20 minutes before I was feeling the pressure.
Jacob helped me out and I stood in the middle of the room for a couple of contractions. The nurse wanted to check me but I told her I wasnt sure I could get on the bed. One idea she had earlier for laboring was to kneel on the bed while putting the head of the bed up to rest on. So that is how she set it up for me so she could check me. Before she checked she told the nurse on the intercom to let Dr Reynolds know that it was getting close. But after she checked me he had to basically run down since we were ready. :) Within 2-3 pushes Marleaux was born with me on my knees facing the head of the bed. I had to ask the doc if he even made it in time since it all happened so fast and sure enough he did. The nurse said she was nervous that she was going to have to deliver the baby and also commented that she had never had a patient as calm as I was that whole time. I also was able to cut the cord since that was not something Jacob wanted to do.
Jacob watched the clock more than I did but we think I was only in hard or challenging labor for 30 minutes or so which started when I was in the shower. Recovery has been great had a couple stitches which the doc said would just help with healing. I am no way near as sore as I was with Emmi. It may have helped that Marli is smaller than Emmi. Random information is the doc who delivered Marli was the same one who delivered Emmi.
No issues with the GBS stuff but we did have to stay the almost 48 hours due to not getting 2 doses of antibiotics. The ban on under 18 is getting lifted the night we left at midnight so we just missed being able to bring Emmi up. :(
**edit from Jacob: from my outsiders view, Taryn's really hard contractions (judging from her reactions) started at 11:25pm. I asked her if she thought we would have Marli by midnight, there were many doubts from Taryn and the nurse. 7 minutes later, Marli was born......it was quick.
1 comment:
You are my idol!! You make it seem so easy.
Post a Comment