Been thinking alot about this lately. Taryn and I had a short discussion the other day about snakes that started this thinking ball of thread. Are we going to teach Emmi to fear things or respect things. From my childhood my parents always said they were afraid of snakes. I think because of this I was predisposed to be afraid of snakes. Recently I've started to overcome this and my fear has been turning into more of a respect. I don't run in the other direction screaming like a little girl anymore. Now I stand at a safe distance and observe.
Last night we had a similar experience with my little pumpkin. We had a pretty bad thunderstorm. Taryn decided that while the wind was whipping and it was raining buckets, to take Emmi out on the porch so she could experience the weather. I've heard horror stories of people's young children hiding in closets and soiling themselves during such storms. I never want my daughter to experience such fear. Everytime lightning would strike I would smile at her and tell her that was lightning and it was ok. She would smile and laugh and clap her hands. I figure that if we start teaching her that such things are ok, she will not fear them. When she gets old enough to understand, then we can really start to hammer home that these things don't necessarily need to be feared, but respected. Another thing with this type of mind numbing fear, you can't think straight, mistakes happen, and accidents happen. Having respect clears the mind of fear fog and allows you to be proactive rather than reactive.
Anyway, that is all I have. Maybe some will take some of my little rant and use it, maybe not.
2 comments:
Wow, I love it. Good job.
Seriously, that's great!
Post a Comment