Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The new adventure

Here is Moo drinking her sippy of milk.

Busted as you can see as soon as the gate is to the side Moo makes way to the stairs. Emmi realized that she can move Marli now by picking her up slightly so she does a great job pulling Moo off the stairs.
If you notice in the picture moo is wearing cloth diapers, isnt the pattern perfect for her??? We have made the switch. I have honestly always looked into them at various times with Emmi but always decided against it. My friend Jen who is also a working mom cloth diapers her son. So recently she had a post on FB about it so I looked a little more into it again for Moo. I had a coupon for 20% off Amazon diapers and asked my fellow mommies a ton of questions. After all the help I decided to make a go for it as well as Jacob said he would be on board.

These are not the diaper and pins that people may think. They are called pocket diapers so very similar to a disposables. They have snaps or Velcro to close them, have a pocket where you can add different inserts for custom absorption, and they are one size fits all so she will wear them for the next year or so. So far so good as it has been almost a week. I am waiting on my order to arrive so I dont have to keep washing daily but we will be using primarily Kawaii Diapers. Super cheap at $5.50 per brand new diaper off ebay from the retailer for the lot of 15 I bought compared to disposables which if I can seek out a deal maybe $6.99 for 96 diapers which last 2 weeks or so. They also have liners you can put in them, similar to a paper towel of sorts, to make the duty changing much easier as you can just flush all that away so no swishing and scrubbing. Again waiting on my Amazon order for those. :D

Washing them is not bad. Just start with a cold pre-wash with Oxyclean. Then do a regular hot wash with Country Save detergent with Vinegar for fabric softener and an extra rinse. Really I only start my washing machine twice since mine has an extra rinse setting.

Since I had stocked up on disposables we are using those as nighttime diapers as well as if we are out and about since the diaper bag in the car already has them in there. This has also gotten me to take out my sewing machine as I want to make what they call wet bags. They are bags lined with PUL fabric to put the dirty diapers in. You also see reusable sandwich bags made out of them. I have been making the sandwich bags with fabric Emmi picked out to practice as the PUL fabric can be slippery to work with. So that is our new adventure in parenting.

1 comment:

Erika said...

So stinking proud of you. . .read: jealous. Come to think of it. . .I have about 400 cloth diapers (bum genius, maybe?) and liners tucked away in storage somewhere I ought to send your way.

. . .if you get an unmarked package of unopened diapers in cute little boy patterns. . .it wasn't me.